Mythical/Magical creatures from Malta and Gozo
***Post have been created in the line with project organized by Club of Polish Women in Outland***
Our world is full of legends and scary stories! This is also not a surprise that Malta is a place full of tales about mythical creatures, which are being passed from generation to generation. Magical tales of the childhood, monsters being alive in our head, mysterious sounds at night- all this and more is a topic of my today’s post. To have a better overview I’ve prepared a list of the most important magical characters. Enjoy and…keep your eyes open! Always! J
- Giants, who built Megalithic temples on the islands, are in my opinion one of the most famous magical creatures in Malta and Gozo. They were wise and calm. We do not know too much about where they came from or why they extinct. The legend says, once the human stopped praying to them, they just disappeared. One of the Giants women fell in love with a human and had a child with him. The rest of the story is one big secret.
- Gawgaw a zombie like creature, hidden very often in water supply well, waiting for innocent children.
- Valletta vampire a star in Malta. Do not think you are safe in Valetta after dark. He can wait for you everywhereJ
- Tal-ixkora a man who is kidnaping children and throwing them into a sack.
- Xifajk – Imp creating disharmony and getting people annoyed.
- Golfu – Screech Owl is a large owl with the power to petrify its victims with its scream.
- Gadajdu looks similar like Predator from the popular US film. Live in the tunnels under the inslands. Eats all animals and humans.
- Ors tal-Gandlora a huge bear living on the side of Gelmus Hill ( not far away from Rabat), who claws children from their beds at night.
- Għageb tad-Dragunara living in a cavern in the valley of Harq Hammiem near St George’s Bay, waiting for lovers who spend their time on the cliffs. Once they kiss, he just swallows them. Yummy dinner for the beast!
- Ċensa l-Mewt the colloquial Maltese has a SHE for the finality that is death, hers name is Ċensa. Many books were written about her, so I think there is nothing more I can add.
- Babaw ( eng. Bogeyman) is a common allusion to a mythical creature in many cultures used by adults to frighten children into good behavior. This monster has no specific appearance, and conceptions about it can vary drastically from household to household within the same community; in many cases, he has no set appearance in the mind of an adult or child, but is simply a non-specific embodiment of terror.Cyclops typical creatures for Mediterranean islands like Crete, Sicily, Cyprus, and Malta.On his way home from the Trojan War, Odysseus landed on one of mentioned islands, where a ferocious Cyclops took him and his men prisoners.
- Nymph Calypso, another character from Homers work. It is often posited that Gozo is the legendary Ogygia, the land where the nymph held Odysseus captive for 7 years.
|Picture source-->Times of Malta|
This is not the end of the list! There are numerous others creatures, such as the Nephilim, the siren, the werewolf, the afreet, the imp, the ghoul, the changeling or the bad witch. To describe them all I need to write another book, so let us stop right hereJ For all interested in discovering more about Maltese magical beasts, I can recommend a wonderful book under title Maltese bestiary. In this book you will find not only text, but also illustrations of famous Stephan D. Mifsud, a microbiologist who has already illustrated more than 80 local fantasy stories! On one of the pictures in this blog, you can see a cover of the book. As far as I know, you can simply order it on f Merlin Publishers Website.
And one more thing: be careful next time during your night walk through Maltese cities and villages. Mythical creatures never sleep!
|Picture source-->Times of Malta|
Legendarne/Baśniowe istoty z Malty i Gozo
***Post powstał w ramach projektu organizowanego przez Klub Polki na Obczyźnie***
Nasz świat stanowi jedno wielkie skupisko mitów, legend i opowieści o magicznych istotach i nadprzyrodzonych wydarzenich. Nie dziwi więc fakt, że również Malta jest peła historii o baśniowych istotach, przekazywanych z pokolenia na pokolenie. Stwory te są obecne w świadomości i codzienności nie tylko dzieci, ale i dorosłych. Pragnę zaprezentować wam dziś krótką listę, moim zdaniem, najważniejszych, bądź lepiej powiedziawszy, najbardziej znanych legendarnych istot, jakie występują na Malcie i Gozo.